Just my musings about life, quilting, my family and my dog.

Friday, November 18, 2011

FINALLY!!


 

If you follow my blog at all then you know that I am a huge Bonnie Hunter fan.  I discovered her website many years ago while I was on the Stashbusters yahoo group.  She always posted great patterns and her website is full of information and tutorials that just improved my quilting immensely.  I was at the point where I was getting overwhelmed with all my fabric and all the projects I wanted to do but was having trouble really moving forward.  She has wonderful patterns and three great books with patterns for using your stash.  All her patterns are scrappy which is what I really love.  Making block after block with the same 3 fabrics bores me.  I find scrappy much more exciting visually and more satisfying creatively.

All of that is the very long-winded intro into what FINALLY!! means!

Bonnie has posted clue #1 to her 2011 mystery.  I've only made two of her mystery quilts but they are two of my favorite quilts ever.  One I will never give away the other is open to bribes - if the bribe is substantial enough!    This is the one up for bribery.  It hung in the San Diego Quilt Show this year.  It's BIG!

2010 Bonnie Hunter Mystery: "Roll Roll Cotton Boll"

This is the one I am unlikely to part with:

2008 Bonnie Hunter Mystery "Carolina Crossroads"
For some reason, the brown and blue combo just speaks to me.  (Note to self: buy a better camera to actually show off your quilts)

My color palette for this year's mystery is brown, blue, pink and white for my neutral.  At the moment, I am trying to decide which will represent which on Bonnie's colors.  She is using red, blue, black and 'whatever' neutral she has.  I pulled several shades of off white, tan, etc and the bright white looked best.  I'm planning to raid my black and white collection and use all the white with tiny black motifs that I have.  I'm thinking my blue will be her black.  my pink will be her red and my brown will be her blue??  I don't know (there should be a whining font).  It would be simpler just to substitute brown for her black but the first step is to make a gazillion 1/4 square triangles with black and the neutral.  (more whining and pulling of hair).

Any thoughts before I'm off to cut some fabric?



2 comments:

  1. Your quilts are awesome. I like brown in quilts so and I can't wait to see your Orca Bay. I am trying to catch up on blogs and yesterday I was on Quilter Kathy's blog and I ended up printing all the steps from a mystery she did. Brown. http://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2011/11/october-ufo-is-finished.html

    ReplyDelete

Hi, So glad you stopped by. Please leave me a comment, I love to hear from you but, due to spam, I am no longer able to allow anonymous comments. Sorry.