Just my musings about life, quilting, my family and my dog.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Game On!

First an introduction of the cast of characters:
Me
DH
Sister who lives with us
Chachi - sister's very small dog, a Bichon Frise
Izzy - my (not so) Great Dane

Izzy was only 4 months old here with Chachi


It all started Halloween weekend when my sister was sure she had heard a mouse in her room.  "NONSENSE, we don't have MICE!!"  Later that day I heard shrieking from the laundry room.  OMG, she had seen an actual MOUSE IN MY HOUSE. 



Game on!  We set mouse traps.  We caught nothing but our own fingers. Finally, Sunday morning we very timidly peaked behind the couch.  OH YES!! We caught the little bugger.  The problem was that my DH was in OHIO. WHO was going to remove the offender from the HOUSE??  OKAY, Big Breath.  The last time this happened in the garage DH used his big pliers and work gloves to pick IT up and throw IT in the trash. (I can hear you all laughing about what a Big, Strong, Man my DH is.  I'm OK with that.).  I made my sister hold a bag open while I picked IT up with the BIG pliers and dropped IT in the bag.  SHIVER  But we were happy and safe in the house once again.  Until THIS weekend. 

We found a bag of dog food chewed open.


OH NO.  DH was gone for the day - AGAIN.  Based on the dogs' behavior, we figured the new IT was still in the laundry room.  We commenced, after much shrieking, to trap IT in there.  But, the DOG food was in there and Izzy was hungry.  A hungry Great Dane is a fearsome thing so I pulled on my Big Girl pants and went in.  IT ran across the room right in front of me.  I shrieked but managed to get Izzy her breakfast.  We set a few traps by sliding them in.  Every time we checked, the bait would be gone but there would be no trapped mouse.  Dang, how can a mouse be so smart?  

DH got home and he devised a plan. We would herd the mouse into the small bathroom where we set up about SIX traps. We were gonna get this thing!!  When we finally opened the laundry room door I could see the little thing all curled up behind the door.  He wasn't moving.  DH threw a towel over him, picked him up and dispatched him to a better place.  Did we bore him to death or did our ferocious dogs scare him?  We'll never know.

I'll be danged if we didn't find evidence of a THIRD mouse the next morning.  More traps.  We baited these with cut up hot dogs. Next day -  NO hot dogs and NO mouse.  Time to get tough.  That night he GLUED the bait to the traps.  Oh yeah, baby. We caught IT.  Sadly, we left one trap in the living room and Izzy found it.  Now she's afraid to go near that side of the room.

I double-dare another mouse to show himself here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, So glad you stopped by. Please leave me a comment, I love to hear from you but, due to spam, I am no longer able to allow anonymous comments. Sorry.