Just my musings about life, quilting, my family and my dog.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Summer Vacation

 Since Izzy's adventure is preventing us from taking a vacation this summer, I decided to revisit one of my favorite vacations of all times.



In 2001, 2003, 2007, and 2009 our family had the wonderful fortune to stay for a week at Cherokee Park Ranch in Colorado.  Each time, it was a week of the most sublime relaxation and fun.


The ranch is owned by the Prince Family who are the most wonderful hosts imaginable.
Each guest is given his/her own horse for the week.  This is great because you get a real chance to know your mount and learn how to handle it.  The first year I was given a feisty, recently tamed, wild-bred Mustang.  She tried to kill me at one point by trying to overtake another horse on a  narrow trail on the side of a steep mountain.  It was hairy but I just laid on her neck and held on.  We both survived but I requested a different horse the next year!!  They gave her to my younger son in 2003.  He loved that she tried to bite everyone.  I guess it's a generational thing.

Unless you stay in the lodge, you get an individual cabin.  This was ours in 2003.

They have long rides through some beautiful mountains
Overnight rides, meadow runs, a rodeo, and LOTS of photo opportunities



I think the best part of the whole week is that there is NO CELL reception, NO TELEVISION, and almost no decisions to make.  In fact, we think the only decisions we made all week were whether to take seconds at meals and whether to take a long or short ride (we always chose long rides).

Here is the whole gang: Grandparents, Parents, and Kids.  


If you ever get a chance to take a vacation like this DO IT!!

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, So glad you stopped by. Please leave me a comment, I love to hear from you but, due to spam, I am no longer able to allow anonymous comments. Sorry.