Just my musings about life, quilting, my family and my dog.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

More strips and strings

When we were going through my friend, Audrey's, quilting stash following her death a few months ago, we found a great tin full of 1-inch strips all bundled into various groupings by some plan known only to Audrey.

You know how I love a scrap challenge.



 Here are a few of them separated into two piles: lights and darks.  On the right are some of them after I cut them into 6-inch lengths.




Then I just started paring light with dark and got busy sewing strips together.  I repeated this step about a gazillion times.  Then I paired twosies with twosies and  sewed till everything was stitched into 4-strip patches.  Next I paired 4-patch to 4-patch until they were all sewn into 8-strip patches.  I trimmed all of these to 5.5" squares and went to the design wall.

Oh, how cute is this from a bunch of "scraps!"



 

Now I need to find a fabric for a narrow inner boarder and another for a wider outer border.  Any suggestions for colors?  I figure something that reads solid for the inner border - maybe black or red - and something with a small to medium size print for the final border.  Right now it measures about 30 X  40 and I'd like for it to be 40 X 50.  I think that would be a nice lap quilt size that I can donate to the VA Hospital for wheelchair-bound vets.

Every good act is charity. 
A [wo]man's true wealth hereafter is 
the good that [s]he does in this world to his [her] fellows.
 
                                             - Moliere
Who feels compelled to fix old-fashioned, sexist quotes.
Does that make me militant?

3 comments:

  1. I love rail fence quilts and this was the perfect way to use those 1" strips! The woven effect is very strong... great job!

    No advice for the borders... I think you are on the right track...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the strippy quilt! I agree, something that reads as a solid for an inner border (black-red-blue ... all would be good) and then a little bigger outer border of almost any kind of print. What a labor of love, working on your friend's stash of strips :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really great! I'm sure your friend is looking down and loving it!

    sorry to hear about Izzy and your nonvacation! :(

    ReplyDelete

Hi, So glad you stopped by. Please leave me a comment, I love to hear from you but, due to spam, I am no longer able to allow anonymous comments. Sorry.