Just my musings about life, quilting, my family and my dog.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Is This So Wrong?

In my profession, it is necessary to obtain continuing education credits.  Yesterday I had the pleasure of experiencing a very good seminar.  Even though it was very good, my short attention span makes it hard for me to sit that many hours.  Long ago I discovered that I could be more successful if I work on a small hand-work project as I sit and listen.  In fact, I made MANY of my Dear Jane blocks in Continuing Ed seminars.

I brought along an applique project that just happens to be on my 2011 UFO list.


I was sitting in front and the lecturers saw what I was doing.  They didn't say anything and neither did I.  Should I have asked permission?  Should I have let them know why I do it?  I've seen lots of women knitting in other seminars in the past.  Does that make it right?

Was I wrong?  How can finishing something so cute be a bad thing.  BTW, I finished FOUR of these.

True politeness consists in being easy one's self, 
and in making every one about one as easy as one can.
                                                      Alexander Pope 
 
Chris

2 comments:

  1. I often wonder that too - we have training and I think I couold be hand sewing while this is going on - but then we need ton take notes so it wouldn't work. I think if they didn't say anything then they have given tacit approval. Four that was a productive seminar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done the same thing. Worked on a crochet baby blanket while listening to the lectures at a seminar. Did get some stares but was in middle of group, kept it fairly low on my lap and since I knew the pattern didn't have to read anything to do it. I also seem to be able to focus better if doing something with my hands. Much less annoying than hearing someone tapping a pen all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, So glad you stopped by. Please leave me a comment, I love to hear from you but, due to spam, I am no longer able to allow anonymous comments. Sorry.